This one of a kind plane was the first aircraft to be manufactured at Dallas Love Field by the first commercial company licensed to sell airplanes in Texas. It was developed and flown in 1927 by George W. Williams,Jr. the first man to design and build an airplane in the state. Williams, along with his brother E.K. Williams (publisher of the Temple Daily Telegraph) was well underway with construction of a 4 acre production factory here at Love Field, until the stock market crash of 1929. The “Texas Temple” monoplane was eventually built in four different versions by his Texas Aero Corporation.
This “Texas Temple” Sportsman monoplane (987N) was the last production airplane completed by the Texas Aero Corporation in 1930. It was flown in the Fort Worth/Dallas area by Ralph Doshier and Ted VonRosenberg who helped to build it. Its original 10 cylinder Anzani engine of 100 hp was obtained from Clyde Cessna. It was reconstructed from the parts of the original aircraft that Jerry Ferrel discovered at Russell Field south of Fort Worth. It is the only remaining example in the world.
This aircraft was donated by restorer Jerry Ferrel of Temple Texas.