Officially designated the “Sopwith Admiralty Type 9901,” this aircraft was given the universal informal nickname “Pup” because it so resembled its predecessor, the Sopwith 1 Strutter, but with 20% less wing span. Although armed with only a single Vickers .303 machine gun and powered by a meager 80 hp Le Rhone rotary engine, it was nonetheless highly effective when introduced to the Western Front in 1916. It was an effective interceptor for British Homeland Defense because it maintained its maneuverability at higher altitudes better than any other contemporary fighter. Its low altitude maneuverability also enabled it to be the first aircraft to land aboard a moving ship; Royal Naval Air Service Commander E. H. Dunning landed one on the foredeck of HMS Furious on August 2, 1917. Production totaled 1,770 plus a further 10 produced in 1919 as private aircraft.
One of only 8 replicas built from original Sopwith Company plans, this aircraft was flyable when donated to the museum.
This aircraft was donated by Jim & Alinda Wikert of Dallas, Texas.