Northrop T-38 “Talon”

The first supersonic trainer for the United States Air Force, the T-38A “Talon” has introduced generations of USAF and other western allied pilots to supersonic flight since 1961. Nicknamed the “White Rocket,” the T-38 remains the core of the final high performance phase of United States Air Force pilot training. With an initial climb rate of 33,600 feet per minute, a maximum roll rate of 720 degrees per second, and a maximum speed of 820 miles per hour, it truly earned its nickname. Developed from Northrop’s private venture N-156 “Freedom Fighter,” the T-38A was first flown at Edwards AFB on April 10, 1959. The first aircraft was delivered for service to the 3510th Flying Training Wing at Randolph AFB outside San Antonio, Texas, on March 17, 1961.

This aircraft was obtained and restored for The Frontiers of Flight Museum by The Perot Group of Plano, Texas and is on loan from The Air Force Museum, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.

 


Site kept humming by Sunny HQ