The Bücker Bü-133 “Jungmeister” was a production biplane built in Germany before World War II and in Spain during the war. It was the single-seat version of the Bü-131A “Jungmann,” a two-place advanced aerobatic sport and training plane introduced in 1934 by Bücker Flugzeugbau in Berlin. The “Jungmann” became popular with the flying schools of Luftsportverband, a civil flying association during the early 1930s before military flight was allowed in Germany. In reality, the association trained the pilots who formed a clandestine air arm that later became the Luftwaffe.
Its modest size, plus a high power-to-weight ratio, with ailerons on both upper and lower wings, made it an excellent aerobatic aircraft. The aircraft dominated the aerobatic scene in Europe and the United States during the mid-1930s and 1940s.
This replica was built by the late Ken Larson, a museum volunteer and a former Braniff Airlines Captain using drawings by Frank Price and expert advice from Jim Swick. The construction was accomplished over a 2 year period from March 1970 to March 9, 1972. After completing its initial flight, Mr. Larson replaced the original 160 hp radial engine with a 260 hp Lycoming IO-540. He flew this aircraft in aerobatic competitions in the Intermediate Category from 1973 through 1999, winning at least 41 First Place Championships.
Mr. Larsons’ flying career with Braniff spanned 35 years, beginning in Douglas DC-3s and ending in the Boeing 747. He was one of the first Braniff Captains to fly the Aerospatiale Concorde Supersonic Transport.
This aircraft was donated by builder and pilot Ken Larson and his wife Sammy. Both were long time volunteers at the Frontiers of Flight Museum.