2015 EVENTS & SPECIAL EXHIBITS
Don’t miss these special exhibits:
- VICTORY FROM WITHIN: THE AMERICAN PRISONER OF WAR EXPERIENCE exhibit that details the American prisoner of war experience from the Civil War to modern conflicts, through June 21.
- In celebration of Black History month, take a tour of the TUSKEGEE AIRMEN exhibit, chronicling the African Americans who have played a significant role throughout U.S. military history. On permanent display.
- VOUGHT AIRCRAFT: NINETY-SIX YEARS OF MILITARY AVIATION exhibit that chronicles the rich history of the legacy aircraft company, February 16 – June 1.
- Experience the ultimate living history as we honor WWII Veterans at the WINGS OF FREEDOM TOUR; explore the majestic fully-restored WWII bombers, inside and out. Take an unforgettable flight in the B 17 Flying Fortress and in the B 24 Liberator, March 18 – 22.
Don’t miss these special events and opportunities:
- Boy Scouts have two opportunities to earn the AVIATION MERIT BADGE on January 17 and September 19.
- Museum volunteer Russell Julian will describe the accomplishments of African-American aerospace pioneers over the past 100-plus years at “REACHING BEYOND THE STARS,” on February 7.
- Whether you’re a budding engineer or work in the field, ENGINEERS WEEK includes STEM activities, demonstrations, and presentations during the week of February 23 – 28.
- Bring the family to ENGINEERS WEEK FAMILY DAY which includes STEM activities, demonstrations, presentations, and visits with Amelia Rose Earhart on February 28.
- Looking for some fun during SPRING BREAK? Join us for special activities that include making and flying paper airplanes; Build-a-Rocket; Stomp Rockets; and visits with our Living History characters during the week of March 9 – 13.
- Learn the story of BESSIE “QUEEN BESS” COLEMAN, as told by actress Melissa Waddy-Thibodeaux, March 11.
- The Museum celebrates Earth Day 2015 throughout the month of April with a special temporary exhibit: “EARTH FROM SPACE,” April 1-30.
- The Museum will host a qualifier event to support the RED BULL WORLDWIDE PAPER PLANE CONTEST. The competition will include students from the University of Texas Dallas, University of Texas Arlington and Southern Methodist University, April 2.
- On the 73nd ANNIVERSARY OF THE DOOLITTLE TOKYO RAID, one of the Museum’s Living History Volunteers, Don Houk, will present his portrayal of Jimmy Doolittle in two presentations about the history of the Doolittle Tokyo Raid, April 18.
- In recognition of Israeli Independence Day, come see “ABOVE & BEYOND,” the documentary about the air war saga instrumental in helping Israel win its war for independence, April 23.
- The Museum will be hosting the DAUGHTERS OF WWII 4TH ANNUAL CELEBRATION OF V-E DAY. This event will bring together Holocaust Survivors and their Liberators, German-held POWS, the Guard who witnessed the German surrender on 5.8.45, and Normandy Veterans, May 3.
- Make your reservations for the Museum’s 2015 Gala, “GLOBAL COLORS: PAST AND PRESENT,” honoring CEO Sean Donohue and DFW International Airport, May 16.
- Retired Air Force Colonel Ken Cordier will share his survival story as a POW in the infamous “Hanoi Hilton” in his presentation, “NEVER GIVE UP ON GOD AND COUNTRY,” May 19.
- D-DAY ANNIVERSARY will include visits by World War II-vintage aircraft and other activities, June 6.
- Sign up now for the Museum’s 2015 AVIATION & SPACE CAMP where all things related to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) are explored, beginning June 8.
- Join us for, MOON DAY, our annual Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM)-focused, space-themed event sponsored by the Museum and the National Space Society of North Texas. The day includes space exploration activities, demonstrations, programs, prizes, Girl Scout Patch,
and Boy Scout Space Exploration Merit Badge, July 18.
- Our two-day MINI-CAMP at Dallas Executive Airport introduces students to aviation and the principles of flight through a hands-on STEM focused curriculum, beginning July 27.
- Experience the Frontiers of Flight Museum and learn how Dallas Love Field serves as a transportation hub for seven million people a year at the DALLAS CITY OF LEARNING TURN UP! event, August 1.
- SPIRIT OF 45 celebrating the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII, includes family activities, special appearances, and historical presentations, August 15.
- Join us as we commemorate the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II at SPIRIT OF 45, a national event that will include a wreath laying ceremony on Sunday, August 16.
- Texas film premiere of “DOOLITTLE’S RAIDERS: A FINAL TOAST” with Lt. Col. Richard Cole, Jimmy Doolittle’s co-pilot, celebrating his 100th birthday, September 7.
- It’s tee-off time with friends of the Frontiers of Flight Museum at the JAN COLLMER GOLF CLASSIC, September 21.
- Enjoy a Day At The Museum at MUSEUM DAY LIVE! celebrating Girls In Aviation, September 26.
- Come to the Frontiers of Flight Museum for an unforgettable experience aboard one of the few remaining airworthy B-17s in the world. You won’t want to miss the EAA’s B-17 ALUMINUM OVERCAST when it comes to Dallas, October 30-November 1.
- TRICK OR TREAT at our first STAR WARS DAY at the Museum with your favorite SCI-FI CHARACTERS, games and treats, October 31
- The Museum will be hosting a WORLD AFFAIRS COUNCIL OF DALLAS/FORT WORTH event featuring the two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning author David McCullough. In his latest book, Mr. McCullough provides a fascinating story of the siblings Orville and Wilbur Wright, November 20.
- Black Friday – 20% off everything in Museum Store, November 27
- SANTA IS COMING for fun and photos, December 13.
Watch for more activities coming throughout the year including a presentation by retired Air Force Colonel Rich Graham, who flew the SR-71 “Blackbird” spy plane; visiting aircraft; and more special exhibits and events.
*Become a member of the Museum and enjoy these special treats along with many other benefits:
- Enjoy breakfast with AMELIA ROSE EARHART as she tells you about her grandmother’s adventures – Members Only event* on February 28.
- Have breakfast with actress Melissa Waddy-Thibodeaux who tells the BESSIE “QUEEN BESS” COLEMAN story – Members Only event* on March 11
- Breakfast with ROSIE THE RIVETER – Members Only event* on August 15
- Lunch with STAR WARS characters – Members Only event* on October 31
In recognition of some special people, the Museum is offering FREE admission on these dates:
- Mother’s Day – Free admission for mothers and drawing for bouquet of flowers, May 10.
- Memorial Day – Labor Day – Free admission for active duty military families through the Blue Star Museums Program, May 25 – September 7.
- Father’s Day – Free admission for fathers, June 21.
- Smithsonian Museum Day Live – Meet acclaimed aviation authors at our Annual Aviation Swap Meet – Free admission with pass, September 26.
- Veteran’s Day – Free admission for all Veterans, November 11.
The Frontiers of Flight Museum is a proud participant in the Blue Star Museums Program and a Commemorative Partner with The United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration